Sunday, October 5, 2008

New York, New York (day 2)

We woke up on Friday after staying out late and were still able to get to the ferry to take us across to Ellis Island and the Staure of Liberty by 10:30. It was an overcast day and there were a few showers here and there. We think because of the weather we were able to get the passes to enter into the state and go to the museum there along with climbing up 157 steps to the observation level. It was really neat to be able to walk up inside of her. The kids and I counted the steps as we climbed. Grandma and Kevin took the elevator. Because we had our luggage grandpa had to stay back in NYC because we were not allowed to take the luggage into the ferry. I felt bad for grandpa, but I really wanted to be with the kids when they first saw the Statue of Liberty. It was a great experience for them.
This is the actual size of the Statue's face and the color that it was when first built. Over time the copper has worn into the tarnished green look that happens to copper when not polished. The kids were very interested in this.
We were able to walk through a museum at the base of the statue and learn a lot about when she was first built.
Zack is holding the statue up all by himself.
We took the subway up to the Manhattan Temple which is located across from the Lincoln Center. We were able to go with grandma Olsen as she took her names in to be processed that she researched and found. She was so excited that she was able to start the work for her aunt and other family members.
Kevin had to cross the street and we had to stand in the middle median of the road for Kevin to get our pictur in front of the temple. It is definitly a different feel from other temple grounds, but one of my favorite temples still.

After the temple we went to a little cafe next to it and had dinner. This is grandma holding the names that she was able to process. She is so excited. After we ate we took a subway back to Grand Central station and made our journey back to New Haven on the train to stay the night at the Hyatt Place there. What a fun trip we had together as a family. Thank you grandma and grandpa for coming out for a visit and going on this trip with us.

2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

That is a cool picture of the statue of liberty's face. 157 stairs, wow! Your house looks good too. I love shutters.

Melanie said...

Okay you are so killing me! I want to be in New York...so bad...with you guys! What a fun trip. I love the pic of Zack holding the Statue of Liberty. Very cool. Also, your house looks great...very New England. I love it. I miss you guys.