Friday, January 9, 2009

Holiday memories

Natalie made cookies for the neighbors and put their names on the stockings. Very cute idea.

Zack had some great designs on his cookies. He loved to use ALOT of frosting.

Carley was the one that frosted the most. She did a great job with everything. She was very patient and proud of her creations.

We used my sister-in-law Connie's sugar cookie recipe which is awesome and the cookies turned out so thick and yummy.

Unlike Connie, I did not have to have any cookies a certain way. :) I was just happy to get them all frosted before the frosting got hard and the kids not making too much of a mess. We then put them on plates and delivered them and of course ate some ourselves. I love cookies!

The cookie crew

Here are my nativity kids. Zack was a shepherd, Natalie and Carley were towns people, and Brooke was an angel. I am so grateful the kids could participate in this nativity this year. It was a great experience and even though it was freezing and I was sick we made it through and felt the spirit so strong. Kevin got it on tape and we haven't even been able to watch it yet.

Carley had her friend Grace coome and support her. She was so excited to see her. After each show everyone came into the cultural hall and we all had hot chocolate and cookies.

One of our traditions is that we open a present on Christmas Eve. It is ALWAYS pjs and my kids love it. Brooke says it is the only time she gets new PJs all year. Carley loves pink and kittens. She was thrilled when she opened hers and they were pink and had kittens on them.
The kids love their PJs. Natalie put together a talent show where everyone participated. Zack did a light show on the wall with his fingers making a shadow. Brooke did a shuffling trick. Kevin told the Night Before Christmas story and did a magic trick with cards. Natalie and Carley danced and sang and Natalie also played the piano. I read the story of Jesus' birth and we then all watched "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". The kids were all in bed by 9:00 and we were thrilled. They set out a plate for Santa with cookies and egg nog and tried to leave food for the reindeer. Very cute kids...
We met the Noordas and the Youngs at a local Nursing home on a Monday night for family night and sang Christmas carols there. The orderlys really enjoyed the kids and their cute voices. Afterward they got to walk around and talk to everyone for a bit and give them the homemade Christmas cards that they made for them. One elderly man pulled Zack aside and talked to him forever asking him all sorts of questions about baseball and other things Zack was involved with. I sure hope that he has some family close that comes to visit and if not that Zack could be a fill in for them at this special time of year. The kids had a great time and we would like to add that to one of our traditions we do each year. Afterward we went to a couple of people's homes in the ward and caroled and left some banana bread for them. I love Christmas. I remember caroling around my neighborhood and to my parent's good friends home growing up and I just always love the smiles it brings to people's faces when they open the door and see you singing there just for them. Joy to the World.





2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

I'm glad your nativity finished successfully. So many posts at once, I don't remember what I wanted to comment on. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years and I hope you are all healed from your pneumonia by now.

Heather said...

I love all of your posts. They are great! You have such wonderful memories with your family. I am so glad you have a blog so we can share them with you. Your kids really get into all of the fun things you do so that makes it even more fun!