Thursday, December 11, 2008

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving

We started out our Thanksgiving morning with a new tradition that we would like to do as a family. Natalie and Carley were not feeling very well so we told Brooke and Zack to dress warmly and join us in a 5K run. When we arrived it turned out to be a very well organized community run that has been going on for 14 years and I told Kevin that wherever we are next year we are going to start up our first annual Olsen Family Turkey Trot. Everyone brought a breakfast dish to share (mostly danishes and donuts/hot chocolate/coffee) and there was a little fire burning in a fire pit for us to stay warm until it started. Kevin and I shared a banana on the way and then found out that it was a 10K rather than a 5K. I needed a little more energy than 1/2 a banana to run that far. He ran and grabbed some sport beans out of the car and we headed out. Brooke and Zack made it almost half way and stopped at a friends home and Kevin and I finished. It felt really good to burn all of those calories before I ate lots more. What a fun time we had together.
Back at home we had the missionaries join us at noon and play around with the kids and help set the table and mash potatoes, make juice, etc. It was nice to have Elder Smith (above) and Elder Lawson with us for their first Thanksgiving (actually major holiday) away from their homes. Zack worships Elder Smith and wants to be just like him. He went out and threw a baseball with him and a football and he was in heaven. Elder Smith actually plays for BYU's football team as a running back and after his mission plans to return and finish up there. He is from Salem, UT and Elder Lawson in from S. Jordan. It will be fun to watch him in about a year and a half. I am sure that Zack will want to go to every game.
We love having the missionaries with us. Nice "Twilight" Brooke.


Ginger and Sam stayed over and on Wednesday night we all went to see the movie Twilight. It was so great. I love movies that are entertaining and make you want to go see them again and again. I will definitely purchase this one. Ginger taught the girls how to fold the napkins. What are we going to do without you Ginger?? Brooke made the little turkey cups to hold the M&M's. Kevin asked me afterward why we eat turkey at Thanksgiving when no one really even likes it. I told him that it goes with all the stuffing, potatoes and gravy. He votes that we just have steak tips next year. I am fine with that one. Just someone else make the dinner for once. :) I love our fun traditions and the new ones we are making. Ginger and Sam brought Great Grandma Tolman's jello salad with graham crackers and homemade rolls (yum). They also brought a pumpkin roll. Kevin doesn't like cream cheese or it would have all been eaten. We made pumpkin suares (mom's recipe) with cool whip or ice cream on top and had a turkey breast in the crock pot as well as a 24 lb. turkey stuffed in the oven. We had green bean casserole (with the secret ingredient of 1 cup white sharp cheddar cheese) and sweet potatoes with brown sugar and pecans. Mashed potatoes and gravy finished it all off. The stuffing was a hit. We love Thanksgiving.









2 comments:

Ginger said...

Thanksgiving was so much fun. I just love to relax on that day. It was fun to play games also. I love that Zack looks up to Elder Smith so much. It is nice to have a good role model to want to be like.

Heather said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving day! How nice of you to have the missionaries over. You did have a ton of turkey for not liking it very much. All of your dinner sounds yummy!