Saturday, December 20, 2008

ICE is very beautiful but has a very dangerous side



It is crazy to think that this little thing can run our heater, water pump, refrigerator, some outlets, TV and other things. The only thing we had to keep getting was fuel. Thanks goodness the gas stations were open and gas is pretty reasonable right now. I am so grateful for our neighbors and their chain saw. They are awesome.











We woke up to no power and everything covered in ice on Friday, Dec. 12. The school's were closed and the kids were excited. We had bought a generator 2 years previous because of an ice storm and power loss, but then never had to take it out of the box. So Kevin and Zack got excited to get up and assemble it all together. We looked out the window and noticed that some trees had fallen during the night. What happens during an ice storm is that it rains up in the warmer part of the sky and falls into a much cooler area and so it turned to ice as it covers tree limbs, branches, cars, roads. The ice is absolutely beautiful on the grass and around all the branches of trees, but it becomes very dangerous because the weight and strain it puts on the trees until they can no longer handle the pressure and they break, split, fall. We found one across out driveway and a couple out further that were so heavy that they just hung over onto the driveway. Before Kevin could leave we had to have a neighbor come over and use a chain saw to remove the tree. Inside our lovely abode we had the generator running, but our heater and water pump are hard wired to the home and so we had to use portable heaters and bring in water from our pond out front to flush the toilets. Kevin spoke with some men at church and so by Sunday we figured out how he could hook up our heater and water pump to the generator and then we were in business. Thank goodness he figured all this out because we could finally take showers and be warm in ALL the rooms of the house, not just hudles all together in the basement while we heat just the one room. 9 days we went without power. We just got it back today, that is why I am posting. I found out I had pneumonia on Tuesday and was told to just take it easy and rest so it would go away. At that point I still had 45 signs to make as well as living with no power. I could not rest, but thanks to Kevin and Brooke I was able to do a lot with very little effort and we were all able to get the signs out on time. YEAH! So now that I have my internet back and the cable has returned (just in time for Kevin to watch the BYU bowl game tonight), I look at my mounds of laundry and still have a smile on my face because we now have power. The kids have been out of school for the whole week and have really helped me out a lot around the house while I have been "resting". We even painted Brooke's room in the basement and Kevin put in the doors and is now putting down the carpet. We do not let a little thing like "no power" get in our way.

4 comments:

4boysmom said...

Ok, so Utah isn't so bad after all! Are you moving back soon?

Kathy Schroder said...

It is fun memories like these that make a family strong. Your kids will always remember huddling in one room together. I hope they enjoyed it.

Tori Bennett said...

Thank goodness for the generator! We probably bought our generator during the same storm you bought yours. We have yet to use it, but couldn't help but feel like we would have been prepared. I am glad to hear that it wasn't a miserable experience for you. It is an adventure you will never forget!
Take care and now seriously...GO REST!

Jess said...

you rest the same way I do! Hope you're feeling better for tonight . . .