Monday, June 9, 2008

First Triathlon of the year

Kevin has completed his first triathlon of the year and in on the road to his Half-Ironman in August, he did a fabulous job. It was an international distance (.93 mile swim, 27 mile bike and 6.2 mile run). The morning was very foggy so they had to postpone the start and then shorten the swim just a little bit to keep people safe. Kevin was not too sad about this because the temp. of the water was 57 degrees and he said that in the warm up his face was so cold that he kept thinking, "how am I going to finish this?" He was able to finish at around 25 minutes and then off on the bike he went. The bike had a ton of hills where at one point people had to get off their bikes to walk them up the hills because of the grade. Kevin said that he didn't have to do that but his legs were on fire at the top of each one. He finished the bike in around 1 hour and 25 minutes and then by that time he had to still run the 10K he said his legs were on fire and it was so hard to just get through the run. At the end, Zack ran in with him through the finish and it was a really special moment. His finishing time was 2 hours and 43 minutes. Very impressive. The temp. got up in the high 80's and we were able to stick around and swim in the lake afterward. The kids had a great time. I am so glad that we were able to share this experience with Kevin and we will be there to cheer him on at his Half-Ironman as well. I will post the pictures once I figure out how to transfer them from my phone to the computer. (I forgot my camera and had to use my phone.)


4 comments:

Heather said...

That is really cool. That's great that you make it a family event. I'm sure Kevin appreciates the support.

The Bischoff's said...

WOW Impressive! Im glad it went well! Congrats Kevin!!

Aimee said...

Way to go, Kevin! I have to thank Kevin for being the inspiration for my husband to lose 55 pounds one year for a triathlon. No more chubby hubby!!

Juan said...

Um........