Mr. T
TazmanYou would not believe the special holiday season we have experienced so far. I cannot even begin to tell you how full my heart is right now.
We have a new addition to our home. His name is Taz and he is an 8 week old chorkie... chihuahua/yorkie mix. The elves brought him to our home last Sunday morning and the kids could not believe their eyes. Carley even told me that she thought she was dreaming. She told my mom that she has never been as happy as she is right now.
The kids have been begging us for a dog for years. Brooke was about Carley's age when it began...but all I could think about is all the work that comes with a dog. I really like a clean house so I did not want to have to worry about cleaning it more and making sure it smells fresh.
I am here to say that I must be really ready for this at this time in my life. Everything he does, does not even bother me. I have been trying to crate train him (which is going fabulous). He is so smart. The first few days I just slowly eased him into his crate letting him just go in there to nap and giving him treats when he went in willingly and calmed down by himself. He is now already fine with letting us close the door. A dog loves his "den" and really looks forward to going there for comfort. We wanted to make sure he felt comfort there. Last night at 10:30 I placed him in the crate and put it in the bathroom with the door ajar so he could come out and go potty on the newspaper. He whimpered for me at around 1:15 and I came down and took him out to go potty and then let him cuddle with me for a minute. I then placed him in his crate and gave him a treat when he laid down and he actually let me close the door and walk away. I went to sleep on the couch to be close and he did not even get up again. I am so thrilled that he is figuring it all out. He is such a good boy.
He does nip a little with the kids and is getting a little rough. We are now starting the "no biting" by holding his nose/mouth shut and sternly saying "Taz, no biting" and He is actually putting it together and calming down a bit. He gets his 2nd set of vaccinations on Jan. 5 and will be able to go for walks after that. That will help with him being a little stir crazy and maybe not be so spazzy.
So far he has no bark which is nice. We do not want him to learn to be a barker so we are trying to respond to him and just love him lots...for sure there is enough love in our home to overload him.
My hearts actually melts (seriously) when he comes to sit on my lap and he will want to get as close to my beating heart as he can and I just can't get enough of it. I really think he has reminded me how to love again. I have been treating my family with more love and actually wanting to make my home nice again. I go through little spurts of depression (not really bad), where I do not feel like doing anything and he has added so much to my life. Keeping me even more busy and having me want to stay home more. Hopefully he can help our whole household to get back on track and be home together more. We for sure won't be able to just take off anymore and leave him for hours on end.
I am looking forward to this new stage of my life. I was a little scared a few weeks earlier even asking Kevin if we should have another baby because I am so sad that my kids are getting old enough to not need me so much. I love each one of them so much and look forward to all the fun memories we will add to our little family. I love...loving again. My heart is full.
3 comments:
Thank goodness for dogs....
Previous Kelly comment is actually from Kevin...
Aw that is just so precious that he jumps up and snuggles you. And he is so smart, I'm so glad he's learning so quickly. And you are so patient Kelly, can't wait to meet him.
Post a Comment