Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Reach the Beach Relay Race 2008

Kevin and I do a 200 mile relay race each year that starts up in our White Mountains in NH and finishes at Hampton Beach. It is an exhilerating feeling to participate in this race and I think this is the reason why we do it year after year (sore muscles and no sleep). Kevin has now completed the race 4 times and I have done it 3 times (one year I pulled my back and was unable to race).
How this works is we have 12 members on our team divided into 2 vans. We were in van 1 and started at 9:40 Friday morning and finished at 4:00 Saturday afternoon. I was runner number 5 and Kevin was runner number 6. I first ran 5.5 miles and then passed the baton off to Kevin and he ran about 8.6 miles. Then he passed the baton onto van 2 and we were able to go get some food and leap frog up to the next transition area that we would then need to take over again for van 2. We continued this with my second leg being 7.4 miles starting at around midnight and Kevin running 4.9 miles right after me.
Along the way our van would be our support crew and hand us water and Gatorade when we needed it. We got to sleep about 2.5 hours where I slept in the back of the Suburban and Kevin threw a tarp out on the ground and a sleeping bag and fell asleep under the stars. Our final leg was where I ran 4.1 miles and Kevin finished off with a fast 3.1 miles.
We finished in 30 hours and 19 minutes with an average race pace of 8:42. We each took with us finishing metals and memories that will last a lifetime.
Out team name is Moose Tracks and so it is really fun for us to get our picture taken in front of this sign each year. Kevin was out running his 1st leg of the race during this time. GO MOOSE TRACKS 2008!

7 comments:

Just me n Hay said...

Now that's a race!!! Good heavens, your whole team did a great job!!!

Aimee said...

You guys are quite the over-achievers. You make me feel very lazy!

Cami and Juan said...

Great job you guys, do you just run until you can't anymore, or were there set distances beforehand? Congrats!

Kathy Schroder said...

Holy cow you guys are so tough. I am so proud of you guys!!

Sheri Mills said...

Could you bottle up some of that energy and send it to me in AZ!! I wish that I could get myself in shape like that --- you and Kevin are awesome!! How come you don't seem to age? hu?? Not fair!! Miss you tons! Meet you at Lagoon next summer? haha!

Hideaway Girl said...

Wow - you guys are awesome! Maybe if I keep reading your blog I'll be motivated to get off my lazy behind and hop on my treadmill! Kelly I'm so glad I know where to find you now. I sent you an email.

Hideaway Girl said...

Wow – you guys are awesome! Maybe if I keep on reading your blog I’ll be motivated to get off my lazy behind and hop on my treadmill! I am so glad I know where to find you now in the blogosphere. I sent you an email.