Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hartford, CT Marathon

Kevin and I traveled down to Hartford for me to run the marathon and him to run the half. It was a beautiful weekend in October and I felt like I was ready to get a PR and qualify for Boston.
Yuki was my training partner all through the summer and was so good to sign up for the race and go down there to do it with me. I really felt like I let her down when I did not qualify. The whole race was just hard for me. I started a little slower paced, and then tried to pick up the pace for the second half, but I was already having a really hard time with breathing and a weird tingly feeling in the top of my head. My legs were very sore and I had a hard time from mile 20 on. I even ended up walking up the overpass when I found out at that point that I would not be able to make the qualifying time. This is us in the last 1/2 mile of the race. The finish line couldn't come fast enough.

Thank you Yuki for helping me through another really rough race for me. I have learned a few things about a marathon. 1. You cannot have any extra weight on you. Before I run another marathon I need to weigh 10 lbs. less then what I ran this one at. 2. You have to put in more miles during the week and have more 20 milers. We fit in 3 before the big day and I also did not push myself hard enough in the tempo runs...to the point of pain. 3. I will be heartrate training next time making sure that my heartrate does not go over a certain point during the race. The compression socks really helped with the cirrculation in my calves and they did not cramp up this time. Thank you Kevin for being there and thank you Yuki for all the hard work you put in to try and help me qualify. Kevin and I are in the St. George marathon this year (3rd times a charm). So I will try for the qualifying time one last time. 3:45 here I come. I finished this on in just under 3:52 this year. Last year I finished in 3:48. I am so close...there has never been a time when I have wished that I was 40. Qualifying time for 40 is 3:50.



1 comment:

Ginger said...

Umm... if you lost 10 more pounds then you would be just skin and bones and a bit anorexic. I think maybe you should just stick to the weight you are now. You don't want to look unhealthy in the other direction.