Kevin would drill a hole into the maple trees.
Then we would make sure that we had enough cartons and tubing.
Natalie is tapping the maple tree with a spout to collect the sap.
Carley took a turn.
Brooke and Zack both had a turn.
I was just there to make sure everything ran smoothly... :)
We tapped 7 different maple trees. The weather has to be just right. 30 degrees or lower during the night and warm up a bit in the day. This releases the sap out of the trees and then it collects in the milk cartons.
We ended up collecting about 3 gallons of sap.
Kevin set up a pot outside and ended up boiling the sap for many hours so it could evaporate down to just the sugars.
It started out a clear color and then eventually turned into a pretty caramel brown.
We started out with the sap in these two comtainers and it boiled down to the maple syrup in the glass jar. This was a great New England experience and we are so glad that we were able to be a part of the process of making our own maple syrup with our own maple trees.
Kevin set up a pot outside and ended up boiling the sap for many hours so it could evaporate down to just the sugars.
It started out a clear color and then eventually turned into a pretty caramel brown.
We started out with the sap in these two comtainers and it boiled down to the maple syrup in the glass jar. This was a great New England experience and we are so glad that we were able to be a part of the process of making our own maple syrup with our own maple trees.
4 comments:
that is so neat that you made your own maple syrup!! Miss you guys! I hope you're doing well!
that is so neat that you made your own maple syrup!! Miss you guys! I hope you're doing well!
This is so so so cool that you did this...especially at your own home! I miss New England and wish we would have done that while we were there! I MISS YOU!
WICKED Awesome! What a fun thing to do. I didn't have any Maples at my house, but I don't think I would have attempted it if I did!
And, yay(!) for the update. I was wondering if you gave up on the blog!
Post a Comment